A few days prior to
coming to Zambia, I was asked, “Nikki how can you make leaving home look so
easy?” Truth is, leaving to come to here
for 3 months was harder for me than it was leaving for 11 months to go on the
World Race.
On July 1, I found myself
at the Zambian Immigration office once again.
Another month has passed and it was time to get our passports
renewed. Another month. Month two is
officially done. My time here, is
becoming less and less. It is dwindling
very quickly. A lot quicker than I would
like it too.
Not only did July 1 mark
Canada Day, but I can now official say, “see you next month” to those at home. A statement like that, brings many many mixed
emotions to my heart and soul. On one
hand, the thought of seeing friends, family and youth brings an excitement into
my entire being that I cannot explain. I
am excited to reconnect over a walk in the park. To share stories and hear how God has been
working, over a cup of hot coffee. What a
joy it will be.
On the flip side, the
thought of going home also brings about a whole different bout of sadness to my
inmost being and I honestly do not know how I am going to say ‘good bye’ to
these kids in a few short weeks. I
‘fear’ how reverse culture shock will ‘hit’ me upon arriving at home. I know already, that my emotions will get the
best of me and so I ask that patience and grace will be extended as I try and
share what is going on inside of me.
As if leaving Grace in
2012 wasn’t hard enough, leaving now will be near impossible. This place truly has become my ‘home away
from home’ and I know I’ll be leaving behind an even greater piece of my
heart. Instead of only a few strong
connections, I will now be leaving an awesome group of 10 grade 10’s who I have
grown to love teaching each day. Their
personalities as diverse one can imagine.
I will miss getting my many hugs every day, from a certain 8 year old,
as she leaps into my arms regardless if I am ready to catch her or not. That act alone speaks to the love and trust
that has been built. Sunday afternoon
bible studies with the older dorm girls, has become an intentional time in digging
into the Word of God together, as Beloved Daughters. I’ll miss being called “Auntie Nikki” by over
100+ young voices. Quiet times of
listening, as one opens up about past hurts and pains, praying for the
individual beside me, will soon become a memory. Yet the prayers, won’t ever stop. Hand in hand with the little ones, walking
them to school for another day of learning, is a moment in which has become
priceless to me. Listening to the kids
sing praises to God each and every Sunday morning, leaves me in awe of just how
Great our God is!
Recently, the comment was
made to me, “I don’t know how you can do it.
Pour into so many people like you do and help everyone” Truth is, I
cannot help everyone. However, it is the
moments mentioned above, that drives me on each and every day here in
Zambia. It is the anticipation of
reconnecting with those at home that drives me on to love those here,
harder. At the same time, it is that
anticipation of reconnecting with those at home, that drives me on to love them
harder even from afar. One moment, one
life at a time.
Ultimately, it doesn’t matter
where one is in this world. God calls us
to love. To BE His hands and feet. For me in this moment, God has called me here
to love. So love I will.
In Him, I will renew my strength. I will rise on wings of eagles and soar. I can run and not grow weary. Always, when I wait for Him. I can walk and never faint. Always, when I wait for You.
1 comment:
Beautiful, Nikki! <3
Post a Comment