Sunday, November 04, 2007

Second Chance


So mom and I are currently watching THe Second Chance, a movie form last year that has Michael W Smith in it. The acting is alright as it is both Smith's debut as well as the other lead actors. But thats not the point. It is a powerful, moving movie that deals with the black community and how we as the white community, looks at them. Check out http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429068/ or http://www.thesecondchancemovie.com/ for a write up about the movie.

The second chance, what does that mean? Do we give other people second chances or are we to quick to just write them off and move on to the next mission or ideal that comes our way. I am not sure if I will be able to get accross what I am thinking, but just watching this movie, it has made me questioned certain things. A big thing in this movie is the whole idea of a white church supporting a small black church in the "hood", and by supporting I mean financially supporting. But the pastor of the black church challenges the other church with saying that money is no good, it only goes so and so far. He mentions thats whats the point of giving money if you cant give of yourself? The associate pastor of the church (played by michael w smith), goes down to spend time wiht the pastor in his neighbourhood, to witness firsthand what really goes on, and slowly his thoughts on it alll changes. I guess the movie is about the whole idea of DOING what we are called to do. I know for myself how easy it is to sit on the comfortable church pews on sunday mornings, all dressed up, listening to another powerful message, but then going home and forgetting the whole thing and falling back into routine totally forgetting about what was just said. Some one at school mentioned something that was sort of interesting. In chapel we sang a song about going to the ends of the earth for God, about giving up our lives to serve Him, and he jokingly said, "we are all gonna be mission majors now!" Like sitting in church on sundays, we sing those songs, those words way to comfortably. Are we REALLY ready to go to the ends of the earth? To give it all up for the sake of GOd? WHen I am singing those songs, yah I am, but when I really stop to think about it...am I really?
I finished a book this last week (no not one from school or for an assignment), that was written by a lady who survived the 94 Rwanda genocide. The Horrors that she went through, saw and lived through was amazing. IT was a really powerful read. But the changes that lady is making today, God did give her a second chance and she isnt letting any other chance slip by her. So when we sit in our church pews, and sing those songs. Think about it, are you really ready to go to the ends of the earth? Or has it just become so much of a routine that we dont know which way is up anymore?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what was the book called?