Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Character of Peter

I just realized that if one of my assignments this semester at school, would be to analyze the character of Peter, that would be the best assigment ever and I would put so much effort into it and love doing it! 
Reason being is that lately  I have felt like I totally can connect with him and just now I was reading John 13:5-20 where Jesus is washing the Disciples feet and at first, Peter says to him, "Never shall you wash my feet" yet a few verses down, once Jesus explains why He is washing their feet, Peter not only jumps at it, and changes his mind about his feet, but he asks Jesus to wash his hand and head.  How does one go from saying, "no way Lord are you washing my feet" or "yes Lord, wash not only that but all of it"  Umm confusion corner anyone?
 
What about him saying that he will NEVER deny Christ, yet when Jesus needs (well not needs...but yah know what I mean) the most, Peter denies Christ, not once, but THREE time!!  Like come on man!
 
There there is that little story of Jesus walking on water and calling out to Peter to come and join him, which Peter does but as a moment of doubt comes and he begins to sink and calls out to Jesus. Jesus reaches down and asks him, "You of little Faith, why do you doubt?"  Why did Peter doubt? I mean come on man?  Here is Jesus HIMSELF walking toward him ON WATER!!  Seriously...if Peter were alive I think I would smack him around a few and try and knock some sense into him!
 
However I must pause and reflect on my own life....how often has that happened to me?  Not JEsus walking towards me physically on water (though that would be awesome) but an experince like that, when I feel as though I am on top of the world and so tight with Jesus and have this magnificance faith...when this small doubt comes in and sends me crashing into the waves....ever have one of those?  I think we all have
But then look on through the rest of scripture and the journeys that peter goes on.  Like WOW!  I could never do what Peter did, yet he still doubted...hmm yah questions...
I dont know, anyone know any good books on the character of Peter worth reading (keeping in mind i am in college and have enough books)
 
So theres my random thought for the day!
take it for what its worth and let me know (email preferred)
--
Nikki Friesen

~Happiness is inward and not outward; and so it does not depend on what we have, but on what we are. Henry Van Dyke~

No comments: