Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ukraine

I am going to start using my blog to put updates on here about my adventure this summer. The story is somewhat long, so I am going to upload/copy part of a letter I have written about this summer. Here is goes:
The journey to this point, started this past September at the start of my second here of schooling. Since I am currently working on my global missions B.A, I knew I would need an international practicum before Grad of 2010. Through different emails and different applications, God shut doors to some options and opened windows to others. What led me to SEND and the Ukraine was a casual conversation with my faculty advisor here at school about my practicum. I noticed an advertisement in his office about this partnership with SEND that school has in the Ukraine and knew that a few years back, an Alumni of school also went to the Ukraine through this partnership. This made me curious and I went on to inquire about it. This began a 3 way, email communication between me, my professor and a rep that my professor knew at SEND. One thing led to another and before long I was sitting down over lunch
with the rep from SEND.

Since then, I have learned that I am accepted to serve with SEND. Through a phone conversation with SEND’s Short Term Coordinator, I was able to narrow down a few more details. At this point, the plan for me is to spend my time in the Sumy Province of the Ukraine (which is in the North Eastern part of the country near the Russian border), under the mentorship/leadership of a missionary family already well stationed there and this allow me to get a small taste of missionary life abroad and their daily routine. I will assist SEND in their summer camp ministry, while being a part of their church planting team. I am told that although there are some “church kids” who attend camp, the majority of kids who I will be working with are orphans and youth. The dates that are tentatively planned, are June 15th, 2009-Aug. 3 2009. This would allow me to start with the camp season there and then to see it finished all the way through. In June, I would be involved with the planning and pre prep of the camp work and then during July, I will be a part of the camp staff. Along with that, I will also be doing some pre reading on the country and culture to gain a greater understanding. I will be working along side Professor Ernie Koop (my faculty advisor) here at the school and laying out the academics, or practicum, side of it as well. I am excited for this because it will allow me to gain a small understanding of the culture/area before I even arrive.
The map is a map of Ukraine and Sumy is located top east corner of the country

As you follow my on my journey with God and SEND this summer in the ukraine-pray for protection. Pray for Health. Pray that finances will come in prior to going. Pray for guidence. Pray for Openess and understanding. Pray for fun. Pray for opportunity. Pray that God will be glorified through this!

Thank you

1 comment:

Niki said...

Sounds fun. I'm excited for you!