nd I myself have wrestled with them before as well. The debate has gone back and forth in myhead lots of times. Do I have a 100% right answer? No I do not, but is there a right answer anyways??? Anyways, with that, here are just a few thoughts to the question about going overseas VS. staying at home (practicum, travel etc everything aside...here is what I have learned I have totally seen the need for missions here at home in MB and Canada...I have been a part of numerous different youth mission trips/volunteer time etc and the time has been
SO rewarding and I have learned SO much. Mission eXposure North is a latest one that sticks out...(see post on in from January). ICYA-having family involved with that, as well as first year mission X in the Inner City, and volunteering my time for a year there as well..all VERY eye opening and rewarding/hard-but I do not (at this point) feel called to those area.
Cliche sounding? perhaps-but its also 100% truthful. I have done some overseas traveling-never missions-but I have had a taste for what cross culture missions would be llike as to being immeresd in a new culture and having to get to know the local people and all and I love it. Again-the argument could be thrown at me that, "UP north and in the city are two totally different cultures as well" This is true-they totally are-no denying that-but they are still "too North Americanized" Even up North-the kids on a remote reserve-were walking around with the latest technology and all of that. SO different culture yes, but in a sense, not really..
THrough different classes here at school-I have also realized that it is the international opportunities that "fire me up". As my missions prof puts it, it is "how I am wired" God gave me these passions, interest and desires. My prof has 20+ years of missionary experience both in Mexico and NIcargua and he said that there are days that he craves to head back...but yet teaching gets him wired now...passing on that experience and knowledge to us students. Through classes and chatting and assignments, he has too seen my passions for missions abroad. While some are called to stay at home and work in the Inner city, others ARE called to go over seas cause there is so much work out there as well. God gave us different passions for different reasons, just like He made each and everyone of us Unique in HIS image. What is ultimately important, is that we follow HIS calling, HIS voice.
I am not saying that my future is set, that I am hard core focused on becoming a life long missionary overseas...though leaving the option oopen...what I am saying is that no matter where I end up in life-missions will always be around-at home or overseas. The opportunity is endless..when ever you are around people-you have the opportunity to "do" missions. I know what I'd like to do someday...that is hook up with an organization like MCC, or MDS or any other one, and take their "promo" photo pictures. To get down to the people in the gutters, where most people fear to go and capture the beauty that is there. To capture God's image (HIS people) in the gutters and ghettos of large cities. To get it on film, bring it back to the local church and through the pictures, show people the beauty that is there, and to make peopel here go "WOW..." and get them excited for missions (either abroad or here at home) through those pictures....How awesome would that be??!
That would get me excited!!
No comments:
Post a Comment