(*posted 3 days after I originally wrote it)
I should be packing. I should be. I got one suitcase packed and ready (for the most part) I just have to pack my main pack with my personal stuff in it, along with my carry on.
However, I spent the
afternoon in my room (after I went out for a wonderful lunch with a college
friend of mine where we spent time reminiscing about college life), simply
playing candy crush and having praise and worship music blaring through my
speakers.
Productive I know.
To some, knowing the trip
I have coming up, they would say that the latter part of the day had ‘been a
waste’.
It hasn’t been though.
It has been exactly what
I have needed, but did not know that I ‘needed’
(*Funny how even in small
things like this, God knows what we need)
The song Oceans (where my feet may fail) became a
favorite of mine while traveling on the World Race. I have sung it time and
time again, it has over 500 plays on my iTunes alone and I have even heard it
sung live by Hillsong Capetown (South Africa) during a church service there.
Yet the words continue to
resonate with me. Especially as I am
getting ready to leave once again. The Band “The Digital Age” has their own version
of this song. In their version, towards
the end, they really empathize the lyrics “I AM YOURS AND YOU ARE MINE”. Those simple words struck me today in a way I
did not expect them too. I BELONG TO Jesus’
and HE is MINE.
Wow.
God has given me this incredible opportunity to go back to a country,
place and people that will forever hold a very very special spot in my
heart. However, He continually provides
me a daily opportunity right here at home, to pour into a country, place and
people who I have grown to truly love, despite having grown up here. And I am
only now, realizing the true gift that it is.
I was reminded of that once again, a few short hours ago.
This evening for youth, we had outdoor games at the park. As I was goofing off, laughing with my group
of girls, going for a walk with one of the grade 12’s, tossing marsh mellows at
each other, giving hugs, reminding them that ‘fire is NOT a toy’ and enjoying
the warmth of that fire on an abnormally cool spring evening…God kept
whispering in my ear, revealing more of who HE is, through the local
youth. Not only am I HIS, but each and
every ONE of these youth…are HIS and HIS alone.
And He, in His Grace, has allowed me a small part in their lives.
What a blessing and what an HONOUR.
Wow.
Stop and think about that for a while…
God. The CREATOR of the HEAVENS
and earth, the ONE who brings out the stars every night-even when we cannot see
them; calls YOU HIS.
Scripture is filled with this amazing love.
Psalm 139 (my grade 9 group will find this as no surprise that this is
the scripture I choose to reference), speaks to this truth and this affirmation
of the love that God has for you and I.
This assurance that even before a word is on our lips, He knows it full
well. That HE created US in our mother’s
womb before one of our days came to be.
That we ARE fearfully and wonderfully made and that His works are
wonderfully.
Simply put; we cannot flee from His presence as He is everywhere. From the highest of heights, to the depths of
the sea; His LOVE knows no bounds. Don’t
believe me? Read Psalm 139. It’s all there.
So if you find me (talk to me) during my last week at home now, and if
you were to ask me “Are you excited?” my answer will be, “Yes, but there are a
lot of mixed feelings”
Yes I am excited. Yes I am excited to hug my ‘kids’ at Grace and to
actually be there. Yes I am excited to use the skill I have been
learning this past year to, hopefully, play a small part in bettering the lives
of the ‘kids’ whom I will be teaching. Yes I am excited for red soil, African
thunderstorms, plus 35 Celsius, and freshly picked bananas. YES I am EXCITED to go ‘home’ to a place (Zambia)
that forever has changed my life.
However, I know I will be back at ‘home’ here in Canada before I know
it. Time will fly, it always does. It is the ‘learning to stay present’ right
where I am, that I continue to struggle with.
I have just under a week left before stepping on a plane. Until then, I am going to BE here. Soaking in every moment that I
can, realizing that no matter where in this world we are; every breath we take
is a gift. A gift we are not worthy of
without the Love (and Grace) of the One who ordained every breath long ago,
before even ONE of them came to be.
![]() |
| Sunset on the evening of youth in the Park |
_______________________________________________________________________________
(* since I originally wrote this
blog, I am happy to announce that I am fully packed; other than my carry on,
and I am leaving this week Thursday (April 30) at 5:30 in the morning. I got one more youth evening left with my
girls for this year. One more evening
left with the current group of grade 12’s who I have also gotten to know over
the last 4 years. Shout out to the
grads! Proud of you all! Wish I could be at your day of celebration, but know I
will be celebrating in Africa for you!)

2 comments:
So beautiful, Nikki, and so TRUE. I love Psalm 139, too. And you :). When can we skype this week?
Can't wait to hear about the trip. Keep us posted and thanks for bringing the photos.
Post a Comment