Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Lessons from Africa; One year HOME!



1 year. 1 year breaks down to 12 months, 365 days, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes, and 31, 536, 00 seconds…

But who’s counting?

1 year, 12 months, 365 days, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes, and 31, 536, 00 seconds…that’s how long my heart has been incomplete.  A very special piece of it missing. A piece that only one small spot on this entire globe, will ever fill. 

Today marks one year since my feet left African soil. 

Where has this year gone?

Today is July 27, 2016 but I remember July 27, 2015 ‘like it was yesterday’.  One year since the last rounds of hugs and smiles that are now only a memory captured on photos and instilled in my heart.  Throughout the hugs and tears of saying, “Goodbye” the main thought going through my head was, “Don’t cry Nikki”.  It was followed by, “Once you start, you won’t be able to stop.  Hold on just a little longer.  Cry them out on the plane and then ‘pretend’ everything is okay upon landing back in Canada”.

Truth is, I don’t honestly know if I ever truly cried the way I needed to…either on the plane or in the months/year that followed.  Yes, I had my moments.  My moments of, ‘what the *insert choice word here*’ followed by anger, hurt, pain and confusion.  Moments where culture shock really was too much (or so it seemed) for me.  Such as the time where I literally almost walked into the automatic doors at the local mall entrance.  Moments where I have gone, “Remember that time in Zambia when…” only to stop what I was saying because it dawned on me that no one at home will ever truly ‘get’ what I experienced.  Those were the moments of frustration and ‘forget about it, you wouldn’t understand anyways’ conversation ending comments.  There have also been moments where I’ve felt like giving the person before me a good ‘shake’ as I starred at them in utter disbelief at the idiotic, un-educated comment that just left their mouth.  Stunned and confused, I walked away silently praying, “Dear God, close my mouth before I say something I will regret…” 

However, I want to re-share something I wrote August 9, 2015 on a blog upon returning from Zambia. 

I recall a conversation that I had during one of my last nights in Zambia.  I was really struggling with coming home.  How was I supposed to ‘let go’ of the people who had grown so very dear to my heart?  How was I supposed to ‘let them go’ knowing that I may never see them again?  How was I supposed to be ‘okay’ knowing the disease running rampaged through their bodies and that I couldn’t do anything about it?  How was any of this ok?

I was told something along these lines, “Nikki, it is not a matter of if you’re ‘ok’ with any of this.  It is a matter of knowing who God is and continuing to daily surrender your (my) life and the lives of the kids here (and those at home) to Him regardless of what is going on inside your heart.  God has ordained each and every moment and step along the way.  He brought you back to Zambia now for a reason and now your (my) job is ask yourself, ‘what is it that God is wanting you to learn from the people/kids here (in Zambia) in your life?  How is He using what you are feeling now, to stir you on through the gifts, passions, desires and heart in which He has given you?”

How is He using what I am feeling now, on July 27, 2016, to stir me on through the gifts, passions, desires and heart that He has given me?
There are some days in which I think I know the answer. Days in which I think I have it ‘all together” but then reality kicks me in the butt.
Truth is, I don’t know.

Most days, I am a complete mess that is struggling to stay above.  Most days consist of me still trying to figure out the answer to that question.

Yes, I have taken strides over this past year and yes, God continues to walk alongside me in the process as well.  If I’ve learned anything since I became a Jesus follower, it is that following Jesus is a lifelong process.  He is constantly refining us, shaping us into who He is calling us to be.  We are human.   

The reality is we will mess up and we will make mistakes…but there is ALWAYS ALWAYS Grace.

Words cannot express how incredible thankful I remain, for the opportunity God gave me to go back.  It truly was God ordained and driven…each and every step along the way.  Another example of He truly is the GOOD Father who knows us better than we ever will know ourselves.  He provides for us even when we are unaware of what our hearts truly need.  Returning to Zambia when I did, is just one example of this within my own life. 

So what was it that God specifically wanted me to learn from the people/kids in Zambia?  

I’ve realized that it is not so much what He wanted me to learn…rather it is what He wanted to DO within me.  Through my ‘kids’ at Grace, God began a powerful healing process within me.  A healing process that I never knew I needed, nor could I have imagined.  Through my ‘youth’ here at home, He continues that healing process in a way that is just as powerful as when He began.  There is no ‘secret formula’ nor is it ‘rocket science’.  It’s quite a simple process really.  Every day begins with a realization that every breath I take in that day, is a precious precious gift.  It is a gift I don’t deserve but it is a gift God has chosen to give me.  From there, I must do all I can to serve Him by serving others.  To LOVE Him by loving others; regardless of the situation.  Though the process is simple, the application is a lot hard and I know that I am not the same person today, as I was a year ago when I stepped off that plane back in Winnipeg.  I’ve changed and I have grown but I also know that the healing process He began over a year ago, is far from finished.  It’s a journey.  A life-long journey with Jesus that I know will continue to take me on crazy adventures here and now, and around this globe.
 
Thank Goodness I got the Creator of the Universe in the ‘drivers seat’ guiding me each and every step of the way!  Above all else, I am thankful to know my Creator.  He, who created me in HIS image, knows every single hair on my head and whose thoughts about me, outweigh the grains of sand, and whose ways are higher than mine and greater than mine ever will be.  

Thank you Jesus; for loving me the way only You can.   


No comments: