Saturday, June 25, 2011

Blessings

Life is full of blessings each and every day.  They are there.  Whether its an answer to prayer for good weather for a fun filled evening, coffee time with friends, a good conversation with a fellow worker at work, a smile from a stranger, a gift from a loved one, quality time with family (as annoying as family can be sometime), hearing an encouraging uplifting song on the radio, soaking in the sun on a bright summer day at the beach (or at home), and just reading scripture....the blessings God has given us all-are HUGE.  I know I take them forgranted.  Wow Do i take life itself forgranted.  I just assume I will go to bed one night and wake up the next morning.  I mean why not right? I am young and surly have many more years ahead...but that does not excuse me taking things, taking life forgranted...since our time here on this earth, IS only temporary.

Morbid? perhaps, but also encouraging.  If our life IS short here...why not make the most of it? wake up early on a saturday-catch the sunrise (tho now that means getting up like at 5:30!), go the extra mile for friends, invest (not in money) but in people.  Dig into their lives, build relationships  and give give give!

Africa is still very much on my mind and if someone would give me a ticket back, I'd be there in a heart beat-I really would.  Yet I would miss home.  I've been working now full time for about 14 months...longest stint ever for me working full time! (minus the month off for africa).  Last summer...I knew my job would be temporary...a year tops for sure but after that..wasn't (am still not) sure. 
However, this year has surprised me in ways that I didnt think were possible.  Yes, last year this time I did not dream about going to Africa for 3 weeks and experiencing and connecting there with the people the way I did.  In fact, i will even go as far as to say I had no desire to even GO to africa..I mean itw as to "cliche" every goes there...but God opened doors and pushed me through.  As awesome as Africa was and as much as I learned and grew and was blessed, like I said, God works in interesting ways...ways that we do not expect.

Last march- I knew I wanted to work with youth in town (figured hey why not, if I had to be in Altona, why not make the most of it..) BUT I did NOT expect that to be the Blessing it has been for me this year.  i figured I'd go-hang out wednesday evenings, sing songs to God, interact where needed and that was about that.  I knew TF (Treasured Foundation) was in there too-but didnt really expect much from it.

well...needless to say I am not officially waiting for September to start because of Youth!  wednesday evenings became a a high lite for me each week.  Through the youth, I discovered a generation passionate for God, for serving Him (seriously, I do not remember being that spirtitually mature in high schooL!).  I discovered beautiful people who make the most out of life, who want to be real with one another and wont settle for post "sunday school answers" but want the THRUTH and will ask those tough questions.  I discovered a team of leaders-who love what they do and fully committ themselves to the youth each and every week and can clearly see the impact they have on the teens lives.  I discovered that through worship and singing, a generation that doesnt hold back-but that gives sit to God.  I discovered that they are a hurting generation-bombared with Society "Q", and pressured to try to fit in and form into a bubble we, generations older then them, place on them.  And how unfair it is.  I discovered that although its a "church going bunch" that they are human, with real pain and hurt and so often we over look them for the reason- "Oh they are so and so kids-good church people-who cant be hurting at all!" when indeed they may very well be the most hurting teens around.  But do we even stop to listen? Most of us will not. I discovered a group that when forced to spend a night on a bus and then get stranded in a hotel over new years-how they on their own, rise up to the challenge and throw the best new years party I've had in quite some time! I discovered a group, that when tragedy struck their high school-God was able to 're enter" the public schools through them..through student lead prayers and devotions.  A group who bonded through it and came out even stronger for it.  I discovered a generation hungry for change-realizing that it begings with themselves-sacrificing holiday time to serve in greater Chicago area, in sunday school and local missions and programs.I discovered HOPE through a very special young group of people...Hope I pray they will continue to cling to as summer beings, as new adventures arise and as some move on from high school and on to the next step God has for them.

For some people-youth are incredibly intimidating...those people miss out...hands down.  They are an incredible HUGE blessing.  Do not let them imtimidate you...they just want people to be real with them, to challenge them, to encourage them and to listen. 
Although there are TONS of missions world wide-and although my heart yearns for Africa some days...It yearns for the youth here...leaders of today and tomorrow- a very special group of people.

So SHINE guys! SHINE and make the world wonder what you got-and then use that- reach people for God's Kingdom and dont stop!

No comments: