Ah yes, the age old debate (ok maybe not that old..but none the less...a debate)
What are/is missions actually? based on my three years BA at college...I should know, since my major was Global Missions, but really? What defines it? Can we even define it? Lately, I have been wondering if our (the north american church) perspective of it, is warped...
I've been on quite a few different missions trips. Some a few days, a week, a few weeks, a couple months. Everywhere from Inner city winnipeg, to a metis community, to the Native Reserves of Northern Manitoba, to further places like Ex-communist country Ukraine, and countries hit with extreme natural disasters and poverty...Metro Manila Philippines, and to the HIV/AIDS stricken country of Zambia Africa..but i still wonder/ask..What are missions?
I have had it said before to me..."why do you have to go out 'there' when the missions field is coming here? its our back door neighbours, co workers and friends" This is very true, but honestly I am sick of people using that as an excuse. We are told very clearly in Matthew to GO and make disciples of ALL nations. Last time I checked, "go" was/is an action (as in moving/movement) word.
But that is another post for another time perhaps. That said, recently I have been wondering..our we failing, as a church, our young people here in our own midist? Perhaps we are too focused on out 'there' that we forget about 'here", about our own. Shallow? Maybe. but look at our great example-Christ. Sure, HE did speak to massive crowds, all over the area, no matter what back ground or religion they were, but another HUGE part of His own ministry, was discipling His own group of 12 (read it again, 12) disciples.
As I have said before, this past year of working with youth in my church/town has really opended me eyes and challenged me in ways I didnt think were possible. I mean, these are church kids, good kids who know right and wrong and kids you find in the pews sunday mornings, kids, who perhaps some parts are teachers/preachers or actively involved in the community or/and church. "surely they cannot be strugglign if they are so and so kids!?" Wow do we ever fail there as a church!
The youth that I have gotten to know this last year, have changed my world up side down. They are amazing young women and men of God. Young people who will/ARE already making a difference intheir school, friends lives, and community (and even globally). Yet they too, are still hurting. they are still seeking for something that is true and real to them. They are seekig for someting to call their own, something/someone to believe in. I've been there and i think we all have at one point or another in our lives.
If a youth goes to camp as a camp counselor to younger kids, yet comes out questioning their own faith even harder than before because of the poeple they see in leadership positions, people the church has placed there-We, as a church, have failed and serious need to re-evaluate our own leadership/beliefs. If, for running a day camp once a week for a few hours, the coordinator struggles at finding leaders and volunteers to help and few people that DO step up and say yes, are indeed YOUTH, we as the church have failed. If that same person, struggles at finding people to help with summer sunday school, the church has failed.
How are the youth/young people suppose to grow and learn and BE discipled if there is NO ONE there to disciple them? Answer: The church has failed.
Now, this is not a 'church bashing' post-but its something I am wrestling with and trying to figure it for myself. That said too, there are some phenomenal people in leadership spots..people who ARE investing into young people, teens and kids and I thank God for them. but what about the other 90%? Those parents sending their kids to VBS? I realize life is busy, but hello-so is everyone else's.
I need to remind myself of this too, and step up where I can. Encourage each and every day, whatever way that maybe.
We are called to walk this journey together, in community and fellowship. Let's please not forget those walking beside us. Pick up a brother when he falls, Hug a sister when she needs. INVEST into the lives around you. Give back and seek ways to bless others...it is one of the greatest things you will ever recieve..
No comments:
Post a Comment