Saturday, July 14, 2012

A look back

I spent some time this morning-going through stuff in my room (which is a scary process) and came across some interesting stuff.  What do I do with years of notes, letters and misc. things like that from friends?  Like most people, I had to take time to just sit back and read through some of them and WOW was I encouraged!  I found one from my older brother that I read for the first time when I flew out to capernwray in 2007 and, just like it did then, brought a tear to my eye.  A lot of what he wrote in there at the time, was true and remains true to this day.  Psalm 121 was quoted and it is actually the psalm I memorized while at Holsby Brunn in Sweden.  It is a psalm I have come to love and take to heart.  Yet relationships are an interesting thing-because not much as changed (other than the fact of getting older) between my older brother and I...that fact-is very sad.

I found some other ones from my first while at SBC.  Notes from friends who 'nailed it dead on' with what they wrote as well.  Encouragements that were super encouraging at the time, as well as now.  Notes now, that are just as encouraging today.  Notes that make me wonder "how in the world did they see that in me when I was so incredibly lost at the time".  Interesting how that works.

But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 

Hebrews 3:13

Its scriptural-to encourage and to bless-so that we dont become hardened by sin.  These notes reminded me of that-they encouraged ME to do that-to encourage others.  It is an approach I have taken with people around me, specifically (hopefully) the youth.   Is it always easy? not really because we are all human but is it worth it? TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY!!! So go out, go encourage someone around you.


No comments: