In the
span of my 26 years of life, God has put some pretty incredible people in my
life.
From early educators (public
school and Sunday school alike) through university college professors. From my days of being a youth looking up the
youth leaders wondering ‘how they know all they know’, to now working alongside
some of those same leaders who are still IN the same youth ministry- I can see
God’s hand in it. From to getting to
know a family who moved to a struggling community simply to love on the people
and help guide them through life, to spending a week with a missionary couple
on a Northern Manitoba Native Fly-In only reserve, have helped reveal my love
of missions to me.
God has
given me the honour of getting to know incredible, ‘sold out’ people for Jesus,
of all ages, languages, race, backgrounds, and nationalities across this globe. From America, to Latin America. From Western
Europe to Easter Europe. From
India/Nepal, South East Asia, Philippines, and Australia, down to multiple countries
in southern Africa and many other places in between. The list continues to grow.
Just when
I think that there is ‘no way’ God will provide me with friends stronger than
those I already have, friends (and friendships) that date back to the diaper
age of life and high school life, He blows my mind with my college
buddies. Providing a community, and
friends, to ‘meet me where I am at’ not only during those years, but to this
very day. Friends who will drive an hour
simply to say hello and bring me starbucks.
He doesn’t stop there and goes even further when He has me traveling
with a group of complete strangers who became ‘like family’ in a short span of
11 months. Friendships that, no matter
how far away we physically are from one another, who I know will always ‘have
my back’, God has never ceased to amaze me
With all
the incredible people that God has placed within my life, at home and abroad, I
cannot forget those who share in the same bloodline as I do. From my grandparents, to cousins, to my
uncles and my aunts. All have played a
part in shaping who I am today. Closer
still, my immediate family that continues to grow. What began as an immediate family of 5, grew
to 6 through marriage and now 7, through the birth of my nephew last summer. Yes, of course I when have my moments when I
claim to be ‘adopted’ simply because of the uniqueness of those who God has immediately
placed within my life. Those that will
always be there, simply because we ARE closely blood related, but that’s family
right? We are all unique, with different
passions, hobbies, skills and personalities but that’s what makes us, us.
If God has
taught me anything in my 26 years of life, is that the saying really is true…you
CAN pick your friends (and sometimes they pick you) but you CANNOT pick your
family.
Today,
right now in this moment, I am thankful.
I am thankful for those God has forever placed in my life. I am thankful for the lessons in which I have
learned (and continue to learn) through them.
For the good times and the bad times.
Times in which we are all together around the supper table as a unit and
for the emails (and photos) that continue to unite us even when we are physically
apart. It is BECAUSE of my family, that
I AM able to have done what I have done within my 26 years of breathing. It is because of my family that I will find
the strength to continue to walk with HIM each and every day, no matter the ‘road
less traveled’ in which my life may take me on.
No comments:
Post a Comment