Monday, September 21, 2015

Life Lessons from an 8-year old



There is something innocent about a child.  

In today’s world, that innocence is quickly being swept away.

Yet God is still teaching the world of His love, through His young children.  After all, scripture talks about how the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to these.  God is still teaching us to TRUST in Him especially when we are struggling to ‘stay above the surface’.  I love it when God teaches me through these moments, when He shows just how much He loves me through His young children. 
Today I would like to share a story with you.  It comes from the very heart of my soul and it involves one of my special kids from Zambia.  This 8 year old child, taught me about trust in a very real, very practical way. Simply put, she opened my eyes to how God’s heart leaps with joy when we come running into the arms of our Maker. 

Truth be told, I do not know why this kid decided to ‘take’ to me, but she did and I am so very thankful for it.  I remember meeting her.  She came up to me and introduced herself as “Amy” (*Name changed) in a very matter of fact, “grown up” type way.  As I had done with the previous 30 kids who told me their names, I simply smiled and nodded and moved on to the next one.  The next day, Amy comes back up to me and asks if I remembered her name.  Sheepishly, I had to tell her that, “I did not remember,” and I had to ask if she could ‘remind me’ of it.  Instantly, her hands went to her hips and her foot started tapping the ground.  She said, in a very stern voice, “Its AMY and do not go forgetting it!”  ‘OK’, I remember thinking to myself, “message received loud and clear.  This is a child’s name that I will not be forgetting again”.   

As the days carried on, I started to discover that I had a little shadow following me as I ventured throughout my daily routine.  This ‘shadow’ started to appear in selfies (yes, shameless selfies) with the kids more and more.  I do not remember the exact day our routine began, but the lesson(s) learned from it remain ever so close to my heart

I was outside and my arms were full of miscellaneous items.  My mind was distracted with those back at home when Amy and I made eye contact.  In a matter of seconds, I ‘jumped back’ to the reality of where I was just in time to see this 8 year old running full tilt towards me.  Her arms were wide open and I instantly knew she was going to jump into my arms for a hug.  I quickly realized that I had 2 options, one of which I needed to make in a matter of seconds.  I could either;  #1 sidestep her and watch her jump and fall to the ground or #2 drop what I was holding and catch her.  I voted for the second option.  Seconds later, I had a child in my arms and two little arms tightly squeezing my neck, wrapping me up in one of the longest, biggest hugs I have ever had.  I heard the words whisper ever so softly into my ear, “thank you for catching me” and just as quick as she was in my arms, she was out of them and running off to play with friends.  This became a daily (sometimes multiple times a day) routine between her and I.  In fact, I found myself ‘craving’ this special moment each day and it is something I miss immensely about being at Grace Academy.

I love it when God makes biblical stories ‘come to life’.  In this case, I was reminded of the story Jesus told about the Prodigal Son.  Only, it wasn’t the son running into the father’s arms.  It was the father running, arms opened, towards the son.  The father didn’t care what the son had done.  He was just overflowing with joy that his lost son, had returned home.  The father goes on to throw one of the greatest feasts ever in celebration that his lost son, had come home.

Through Amy; God showed me a little more of who HE is and how He may feel when we, His adoptive children, come running, leaping and bounding into His arms.  I know the anticipation I felt and the joy that consumed my inner most being each and every time she leaped into my arms.  Surely the God “who created me in my inmost being and who knit me together in my mother’s womb” (Psalm 139), leaps even greater than my own when we come running back to His arms. Perhaps that’s a small taste of what God feels when we return to His arms.  


God loves me.  For me.  Not because of what I have done, or because of what I will do but simply for the reason that I am His daughter.  I am made in His image.  I am fearfully and wonderfully made. 

So I will hold on to that promise.  It doesn’t mean that life will always be ‘perfect’ (goodness knows that’s a lie) but what it does mean, is that I choose to run into His arms and surround myself in His presence.  I choose, despite the situations/circumstances around me, to believe that God is GOOD.  I choose to cling to my Maker. 


I choose to whisper into my Father’s ears, “Thank YOU for always catching me”  

No comments: