Sunday, November 08, 2015

When Death Come Knocking (Eternal Glory)



There comes a point in one’s life, where we all have no choice but to face death.  It is simply a ‘normal’ part of life.  We are born as babies who grow into toddlers, kids, pre-teens, teens, young adults and, eventually (hopefully) we mature into adults.  For the majority of us, our lives will end sometime during our ‘senior’ years.

But what happens when “death comes knocking” way too early in life?  Miscarriages, still born, cancer, ‘freak’ accidents, and incurable diseases (HIV/AIDS) to name a few, and those we love are ‘taken’ from us before we are ready to let them go?

We (I) are (am) quick to question God.  Quick to ask, ‘where is He?’ ‘Doesn’t He love us?’ and ‘how could He allow this to happen’.  Or, one that I have been asking (saying to) myself a lot lately is, “I though God was/is a God of miracles…this would have been a ‘prime time’ to have shown that.  Way to ‘miss’ this chance God”.

Although there is a freedom in knowing it is ‘okay’ to ask…it doesn’t take the hurt/pain away from losing a loved one…whether they were with us for a few minutes or many many years.  There is never enough time.  Eventually, we all will ‘run out of time’.  

Morbid?? Perhaps.

Reality….absolutely.

Recently, I have been forced to deal with two people who have died, in my opinion, way too early in life.  Although these two people are from two very different sides of my heart…one a blood relative and one not, they are both a part of my family and saying ‘Good-bye’ is never easy.  Although the words, “At least they are in a better place, alive and well” are meant to be a form of an encouragement, they are not.  It hurts and it flat out sucks.  I have also yet to come up with an answer to the question, “How are things going?”  My default answer, “considering the shitty situation at hand, not ‘bad’”.

I am well aware that death is a topic that makes many people (including myself) uncomfortable simply because we do not know how to respond or act to death itself.  Reality also is, that life goes on.  The living are still living and the mundane of everyday life, continues.  Where do we find the balance of mourning the loss of a loved one, yet rejoicing in the life that they DID live…regardless of the number of years they were given here on earth.

Isn’t it interesting how scripture speaks to our hearts in that exact moment in which we need it?  Even though it may be from a passage in which we have read thousands times before?  Psalm 139 is a Psalm that I love and have read countless number of times. Yet recently, when I was reading it to my small group of girls at youth, verse 16-18 struck me in a way that it never has prior.  

It reads…

Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!  Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand—when I awake, I am still with you”.

Life is a gift.  It is meant to be treasured and fought for.  What we do with the time we are given here on earth, is so important.  It’s not about having the newest, hottest ‘toy’ or having the biggest house.  It is about the relationships we have with those around us.  More importantly, it is about our relationship with God and trusting Him, to work through our lives and IN everything that we do no matter the situation we may be facing. 

At the end of my life, whatever day that was ordained for me in His book, all I crave, is to see the face of my Maker before me and to hear Him say,

“Welcome to Eternal Glory.  Well done, good and faithful servant.  Welcome Home”.

No comments: