Saturday, November 21, 2015

When death comes knocking (Eternal Glory) Pt. 2



 I am sorry for your loss but his death is a blessing in disguise.’  

“Are you stupid? I KNOW it was a blessing but right now that is the last thing I want to hear.  Don’t you get it? I knew it would be LONG before you even heard he was sick! Don’t you think I have wrestled with that more times than you can count? Do not even DARE tell me that.  You have no right what so ever.  If I hear that statement one more time, regardless who says it, I am going to flip out and it is not going to be good.”

To cover up the stunned look of disbelief on my face, I quickly found myself politely saying, “Thank you” and doing what I could to end that conversation right then and there instead of saying what was really on my mind.  Welcome to the majority of the way in which conversations started for me this past week.

To say it was an easy week, would be a straight up lie.  In reality, it was one of the hardest weeks that I have had in a long time and I found myself wrestling with the fact that I did not know what to do about it.  Just over a week ago, we buried my uncle.     

A few weeks earlier, during a youth small group discussion on waiting on God, the question was raised, “What if we are waiting for something bad to happen?”  THAT is a good question.  I found myself stumbling for words so instead of even attempting to ‘sugar coat’ it, I was completely honest with the grade 10’s before me.  I shared that I was ‘waiting’ for a funeral.  That, short of a miracle, the entire family knew without a doubt a funeral was in our near future.  Needless to say, this got the groups attention very quickly and I knew that they could see the turmoil upon my face and within my heart.

Death is hard.  Death is very hard.  It is something that I don’t think any one of us will truly ever understand.  On one hand, we lose those we love and the thought of never seeing them again on earth scares us.  On the other hand our ‘goal’, as Jesus followers, IS to be WITH HIM in Eternal Glory (aka Heaven).  A physical death is truly the only way to experience life fullest with Him.

The morning of my uncle’s funeral, I was asked if I would be able to read his obituary.  I’ve done a lot of things in my life but reading my uncle’s obituary was never on my ‘bucket list’, or any list for that matter.  However when my aunt asked me if I could, I instantly replied “I’d be honoured too”.  The burial itself was small and it took place before the service.  Only family and close friends in attendance.  However, I know I’ll never be able to get the look on the grandkids face, out of my mind.  Combine that visual, with the sound of the dirt hitting the casket as my cousin took the first shovel of dirt to cover his dad’s grave, and I knew that my eyes would be in a constant state of ‘wet’ for the day.  Ironically enough, that morning also happened to be the first snow fall of the season as large flakes were falling from the Heavens.  

We arrived at the church and I quickly realized that talking to people was the last thing I wanted to do in that moment.  I found my seat and starred up at the slide show before me.  Before I knew it, time came to share the obituary.  As I started to speak, I could feel my body shaking and my knees feeling like they wanted to give way.  No I wasn’t nervous of the 400+ people before me, I’ve spoken in front of large crowds before.  It was the reality of what I was doing, the reality of the situation before me, that suddenly ‘hit me like a ton of bricks’.  What struck me the most, was the impact one man had on the many lives before me and I found myself asking, “What do I want to be remembered for?  What sort of impact am I having right here, right now?  What am I doing to further the Kingdom of God right here and now?” All I know is that God heard my earlier pleads for steady words.  

If I learned anything through this specific journey, it is that life is so fragile. However, the ripple effect that one life has, has the ability to rock this world locally and abroad.  Life is so precious and it is not something to be taken for granted for. In the end, we will be with Him in Eternity but the time we are given on earth is important.  Jesus came to bring us life and He wants us to live it to fullest.

No comments: