| Early 2015 Family Photo |
Here are just a few highlights and photos that made my 2015 a year to remember!
| Love my Prov TESOL girls!! |
2015 began with the winter semester (January-April) back of Providence University College. 2014 fall semester had passed and the initial ‘fear’ of making new friends and re-learning how to write essays had passed. I now knew what I was doing and had a goal set in mind. The semester was not without its struggles though. My second practicum required 20 hours of in class teaching, which meant constant lesson planning on top of the daily assignments and university life. Along with that, I knew I would have to "put together" an international practicum as well for the near future in order to complete my TESOL B.A. February, less than a month into second semester, I realized God already had put a motion into play through one simply phone call. Ironically enough, I was sitting in the library at Prov working on a group project and waiting for class to start, when my phone buzzed. After a whirlwind conversation, I realized I was offered a short term teaching position at Grace Academy in Zambia starting as early as May 1. The stunned looked on my face must have said more than I realized as my classmates asked what had just happened and if I was okay. Words escaped me as I fumbled along, trying to explain the conversation that just took place. In my heart, I instantly knew what my answer would be (yes!) but I also knew that I would especially need God's wisdom, strength and guidance for the new 'battle' that was yet to come.
| Always an adventure with this group! |
| TESOL 2015 Certificate Grads! |
The end of April came quicker than it ever had before. Exams passed (some better than others) and I soon found myself at the TESOL certificate ceremony. What a crazy school year it was, but I was so thankful for my incredible profs who had shared their knowledge, stories and wisdom with us students. God also gave me some pretty amazing friends through TESOL, with shared hearts and passions for missions and for language.
From the time college ended to the time I found myself on a jet plane heading for Zambia, was less than two weeks.
Those 14 days were quickly filled between last minute packing (both for my trip and my stuff in my apartment), family/friend time, and last minute coffee's/walks with youth. I flew out early morning on April 30 from Winnipeg, after a short night and very emotional evening the night prior. My mom and my aunt saw me off at the airport and as I sat on my first flight over to Toronto, I could finally allow the realization of what was happening, to sink it. What a wonderful feeling it was! I was on my way back to Africa! Back to a place that changed my life. Although I didn't know the struggle that laid ahead, I was soaking in the fact that I would be gone long enough to actually be able to establish deeper/more meaningful relationships with the kids there, that I couldn't do during my 2 week visits, twice prior.
| Zambia at last! |
| I waited 3 years to get a hand photo with this particular hand!! |
May-July FLEW by. Too much happened to include on this particular blog (check earlier posts from my time in Zambia) but God was definitely present in everything. From teaching English, to building upon previously established friendships and making new friends along the way, God's fingerprints were ever so evident along the way. I quickly came to adore/love my 10 grade 10's in my English class and I eventually came to even like the grade 5 class I helped in. Through the death of a month old 'dump baby' and the rescue/take in of a 15 month old baby boy; I came to understand the writer of Ecclesiastes when he talked about there being a 'time to mourn' and a time to 'rejoice' (read about this journey HERE). I learned what it meant to be in constant prayer, when I felt utterly helpless to help those back at home. I realized that prayer truly is the only thing you can do, regardless of if your there in person or not, in any situation. I was able pour into the lives before me and, in turn, God used them to speak incredible truth back into me. He used their lives, to renew and restore mine. He used their love and joy, to heal hurts within me that I did not even know I was holding onto. He used them, to help make me a better person.
Once again, God also put the right Musungo's (Bemba for 'white people') in my life.
Although we were complete strangers at first, from day one Alexa was a HUGE blessing. She helped to keep me sane and I quickly realized that God had given each of us, a very similar heart and passion for the kids at Grace. Very quickly, she became a sister to me. Thank you Alexa, for your friendship and the continual encouragement. Prior to this trip, I truly thought that my time with Africa had come to an 'end' and I had spent a good chunk of 2014,
| Upon coming home, many hours were spent walking around this park, catching up on life!! |
Due to visa issues, I had to leave 2 weeks earlier than planned. As hard as this was for me to accept, I knew God had a reason for it. July 27 came all to quickly and with it, hundreds of good-byes. As I stepped onto that little plane that would take me away from Ndola and a place called Grace, a whole different wave of emotions hit me. Already my heart felt incomplete and lost. I was leaving my 'home' but more importantly, I was leaving my family behind. It hurt. It hurt so very much that words cannot explain.
On the flip side of that hurt, was incredible joy within my heart for the anticipation of reconnecting with those God placed in my life in Canada. I was stoked to see 'my girls' once again and I found a renewed fire within me, for them. I knew the lessons God taught me through the Grace kids and I could only hope and pray that their love, would shine through me as 'year two' with my same group was about to begin. 3 months was a long time. When I left for Africa, they were still in grade 9 but I knew that, by the time I would get home, they would be a few short weeks away from entering grade 10. The adventure with them, has not stopped.
| I've learned I don't have to travel far to find international community! |
September (and Youth kickoff) came and went and it felt so good to be back with my girls again. I loved having the chance to see them multiple times in the week, something that I did not have the year earlier simply being in school. It is hard to believe that, at the time of writing, we are on Christmas break as it feels as though we just started this youth year. Already, it has been an on-going adventure. I now have a co-leader who I know God has placed very specifically alongside me and the girls and she continues to be a huge blessing. Already this youth year, our yearly camp Arnes youth retreat weekend has passed, along with two specific small group evenings, many bible studies, fun evenings and service nights. The 'battles' remain and there are some that are harder to 'fight' than others, but through it God truly is God and I am excited for the journey He continues to take them on. In Africa, it was easy to see living miracles before me each and everyday and I questioned why I never saw them that clearly here at home in Altona...needless to say, I no longer question it. I see miracles everyday, every-time I spend time with one of the girls God has placed before me. Yes, their stories are all different than those I heard in Africa, but the power is just as present. The witness to WHO God is, just as powerful and I am so thankful that my eyes have been opened to this in a brand new way. God continues to be a God who redeems and restores no matter the situation.
| Youth 2015 KICKOFF! |
| Camp Arnes Youth retreat 2015 |
![]() |
| Highlights from the weekend |
| Yep we are awesome like this! |
Christmas 2015 has now passed and as I wrap up this blog, all I can do is give God the glory for pulling me through another year. It was a crazy year of many adventures, emotions, 'letting go', friendships, heartaches and intense healing and forgiveness. If 2015 taught me anything, it is this. God is Good. No matter the situation. God is Good. His LOVE truly endures forever.

No comments:
Post a Comment