Saturday, April 23, 2016

Hands (Finding JOY in death)


On April 23, 1992, I had just turned 4 thirty five days earlier.  From what I remember, life was good.  I mean, I was only 4 years old so how ‘bad’ could it be right? When I woke up that morning, little did I (or anyone in my family) knew of the somber day that laid before my entire family. April 23, 1992 is the day that my grandma went to be with Jesus.  It has been 24 years since that day and the pain of the loss, is still there.  As a 4-year old, I didn’t understand what had happened and I especially didn’t understand words such as ‘Chemo’, ‘cancer’, ‘death’, ‘heaven’, ‘God’.  I didn’t know what a funeral consisted of or why people wore black and gave things called eulogies at them.  Cemeteries and caskets were something that my eyes hadn’t seen prior.  I lost a bit of innocence that day, as the reality of the world I was/am growing up in, became a bit more ‘real’. 

As a 28 year old, I now understand what ‘chemo’ and ‘cancer’ are and, although I don’t think I will ever fully understand the words; ‘death’, ‘heaven’ or ‘God’, I do have a greater understanding of them and most importantly, of WHO God is.  I have been to more funerals than I can count, both here at home and while overseas.  Funerals of people I’ve known my entire life, and funerals of people whom I literally just met.  Through these various funerals; the reality of just how fragile life truly is, has been a stark reminder.  From witnessing my own grandma’s funeral when I was 4, to seeing row upon row of small grave sites as I listened to the wails of African women at the funeral of a month old ‘dump’ baby last spring, in Zambia.  Having been asked, and then giving the eulogy at my uncle’s funeral this past fall became a stark reminder that when death comes, death comes.  This past week, we lost a precious individual at work to death.  A young man of 35 years of age, whose smile lit up those around him.  Although I didn’t know him long, I am going to miss seeing his smile each and every day and the joy that came with it. 

I have walked on many cemetery sites locally and aboard, and I have seen many different sized caskets since my grandma’s 24 years ago. Truth is, it still isn’t easy.  Death isn’t easy.  Don’t give me the line, “at least they are no longer suffering” or “I am sorry for your loss”.  I have long since lost all innocence that my once 4 year old self had.  I understand pain and I understand loss.  Reality is; Death sucks no matter the age.  Period. End of story.

However, today I choose to have a different perspective on death.  Today I chose to be thankful for life, for my own mom and the gift she has been/is in my own life.  Although we don’t always get along (what mother/daughter relationship does?!?) I am thankful that, at the end of the day, I know she is here and I know I can hug her one more time.  Those hugs, any time spent with her, will forever be cherished.  Mom, I love you so much!Today I am thankful she is two provinces away spending time with her grandson, laughing and making priceless memories.  I am thankful Peregrine HAS the chance to spend time with his grandma.  He truly had no idea how blessed he is to have her as his grandma.  I am thankful for the love that my mom already has for Peregrine’s younger brother or sister, set to grace us with their presence in July.  

Today I am thankful for the gift of ‘hands’ my own grandma instilled in each of her daughters (my aunts) and son (my uncle).  Yes, they are a ‘crazy bunch of Brauns’ but their hands of ‘touched’ more lives than you or I will ever know.  I am thankful for their teachings and influence upon my life, encouraging me to use my ‘hands’ no matter where in the world I am.  As I take a moment and look upon my own hands, I marvel at the stories they could tell.  In 28 years, my hands have been on some incredible adventures all around the world.  They have held countless of kids, in all walks of life.  They’ve been that support, whether physically helping a young lady girl off a pole in Thailand’s Red Light District, or lifting my local youth girls up in prayer as I looked down upon the beautiful smile of an 8 year old African child who has forever changed my life. Thank you Jesus, for the gift of hands that you have blessed my family with.

Thank you Jesus; for dying the ultimate death so that in YOU, we may have life eternal.

No comments: