Sunday, May 29, 2016

Seasons of Change (God's Grace)

.I forgot how much I missed the changing of seasons; specifically winter to spring and summer to fall.  There is a sense of awe and wonder that I get as I watch the bare trees slowly start to get their buds back and, before you know it, those buds blossom into flowers or leaves.  Flowers that will later turn into young fruit as it begins to reach maturity.  Leaves that will grow large and provide shade from the intensity of the summer heat, to the earth below.  Within the change from summer to fall; those young fruits will become food to humans and animals alike, providing valuable nutrients to the body.  Those leaves that once provided shelter, will turn brilliant colours of red, oranges, yellows and more before knowing that they must fall to the ground because if they were to stay on the tree throughout the winter, the weight of the snow upon them, may pull down the entire tree.
Today is May 29, 2016.  It's early Sunday afternoon.  Church this morning consisted of familiar pews, youth led worship and a message spoken in English by a local pastor.  Lunch followed and I can now feel the cool breeze, mixed with the warmth of the sun, upon my skin.  The leaves are out and the birds are singing and in this moment, I find my mind wandering back to a small plot of land; filled with laughter and sounds of joy coming from 150+ kids.  May 29, 2015 I was in another country, in a very different part of the world.  The ground I walked upon wasn't filled with green grass, rather the ground mainly consisted of rocks and sand.  Instead of young apples on the fruit trees, I would find myself under the massive leaves of the banana trees.  My Sunday's consisted of 'kid led' churches followed by afternoons of photoshoots and bible study time with the young teens.  As I pause to reflect where I am now, to where I was last year this time, I miss those 'carefree moments', my 'kids' and everything that came with it and I know that apart of me will always yearn to be back at my 'home away from home'. 

Ironically enough, I am once again finding myself in a season of change despite the fact that really nothing in my life HAS changed.  I am still in the same town, working the same job as I have been now for the last 10 months, attending the same church, hanging out with the same youth 'kids', walking the same streets I've walked basically all my life, frequenting the same small town coffee shops where everyone knows everyone and waking up each morning to basically the same routine each and everyday. Here's the thing though, I LOVE IT and there is no place I'd rather be than right here, right now.

So what is this 'season of change' that I am in?  In short; its learning (and then embracing) the change of the little things in life.  Things like the seasons physically changing from one to another.  It is learning to 'see' God differently and to seek Him in the 'normalcy' of everyday life.  It has been amazing really, as I have learned to slowly open myself up to Him more and more within the last 10  months since returning from Africa last July.  Through the recent journey, there have been many ups and downs along the way.  There have been moments where I could do nothing but pray in desperation while there have been other moments of giving thanks and rejoicing in the victories that were won.  It has not been a journey I have walked alone as God continues to put 'random' people in my life at the precise right time.  People that He has used (and continues to use) to challenge, support and encourage me in my own walk with Him (whether they realize it or not).  Through this process, He continues to remind me that He created us for community, to live in relationship with one another and, ultimately, HIM. 

As I look Heavenly ward towards the sky, I can see the bright white clouds passing by across the blue sky, taking on a variety of shapes and forms along the way.  Even in that, God's fingerprint is evident.  In the season of change that I am finding myself in; a new 'realization' comes to mind...every breath that we take, is a gift.  It is a precious gift that we do not deserve or are of worth to receive. 

But isn't that what God's Grace and, ultimately, love is all about? I am convinced now more than ever before; that HE is LORD and my lips will praise Him no matter what season I find myself in.  With every breath HE graciously gives me, I will proclaim who He is.  My life is His and His alone.

No comments: