Saturday, September 24, 2016

Once Upon a time- Romania (Raul and Ana)



Adventures in Missions (AIM) has contacts located around the world.  It is to these various contacts (local Nationals/missionaries of those countries) that the World Race sends ‘World Racers’.  *For clarification; ‘World racers’ are those who have/had signed up (like myself) for the World Race (11 countries in 11 months).   As a world racer, you hear of these contacts through alumni racers, squad leaders, coaches (an older couple who ‘parent’ the squad), and through AIM’s social media blogs and hash tags.Truth be told; some contacts get 'higher reviews' than others.  Nestled in the small southern Romanian town of Drăgănești-Olt, lives one of these phenomenal contacts that AIM has developed over the years.  It is also in this town of Drăgănești-Olt, that I found myself during September 2013 for my third month.
Shopping for 30+ people becomes
a little easier with lots of extra hands

I had just come off of a personally hard month, the month before in Serbia. 
Although living conditions that we had in Serbia, where great…I was mentally and emotionally exhausted and every fiber of my being craved to be at home, ALONE and in my OWN apartment.
Grilled cheese and soup
I was most definitely NOT in the mood to live in a 2 story high ‘mission house’ with over ¾ of the entire squad.  We had all but 2 teams living under the same roof.  For 30+ people (guys and girls alike), there was a total of 4 showers and, if you woke up early enough, there was a slight chance you would potentially get a warmish shower. Oh and lets not forget the mass amount of cooking and food prep that took place that month.For each supper, it was up to one specific team to figure out the supper menu, then shop for the food and prepare it. Never had I ever cooked for that amount of people before!

As much as I loved my team of ladies that I was with, it took every ounce of strength within me to not ‘run scared’ at the sight of the tiny room that the 7 of us would be sharing/sleeping in.  To give you a mental image…even with a large bunk bed, 3 beds high (so think of a normal bunk bed…now add another layer to that), I still found myself sleeping on a foam mat on the floor.  In reality, I realized quickly that the 3X6 foam mat would be the only ‘me’ space I’d be getting that month.  Truth be told, even a space that small, quickly got ‘taken over’ by teammates and their things as the month went on.  I recall one night lying awake in bed, listening to teammates snore, gazing up at the moon and wondering how I was going to make it through and wishing to be anywhere but there. 

Little did I know the lessons God has in stored for me that month; many of which would be taught through local Romanian Pastor Raul Costea, his wife Ana Costea, their family and their church.  
Raul and Ana and their kids
Truthfully, I am having a hard time even in knowing HOW to explain Raul and Ana Costea’s heart, passion, vision and LOVE for their people and ultimately, for God. They are a couple who are so ‘Holy Spirit’ led, that simply by being in their presence…you know you are in the presence of God.  The church that they pastor, maybe small but it is one of the most powerful churches I know.  In a country caught in the traditions of old orthodox rituals and beliefs, there is a younger generation who remain ‘unchurched/unreached’.  Among that generation, is a high number of children growing up as orphans in a part of the world that is widely known for sex trafficking.  Raul and Ana (along with their church family) are well aware of this all and are doing all they humanly can to be God’s hands and feet right where they are. 
Sunday Morning Worship at HOPE church.  Raul is in blue on
the right of the photo
From kid’s clubs, to street ministry, to venturing into nearby villages to hand out Tracks (despite the fact that you can literally get arrested for it-which some on my squad almost did; another story for another day), to hosting world race teams…the people of Drăgănești-Olt are hearing the Word of God through Raul, Ana and the local church.  BIG things are happening.  God is very much alive and moving in Romania, through HOPE church and the people who pass in and out of its doors.

One of the things I LOVED about being with Raul and Ana is that, every morning before the official ‘ministry’ would start for the day, we would all make our way up to the church for the entire MORNING of praise, focused prayer, meditation, and scripture.  The ENTIRE MORNING, EVERY MORNING was devoted to this.  It was also during this time that Raul, being led by the Holy Spirit, would ‘speak Truth’ into the life of a squad mate.  I recall one morning when this was happening.  I was sitting in the back, hoping to avoid eye contact with him in fear that God had something to say through him, to me.  God chose that morning, to use him to speak to a squad mate.
Morning Focused Prayer and Worship
Raul spoke to things in my squad mates life that none of us knew about, despite having now lived with her in tight quarters for 2+ months already.  As I was watching her react to what he was saying, I knew she was just as shocked/amazed/speechless as I was about what was happening before our eyes.  It was later confirmed to me that what Raul had said, was EXACTLY what was going on.  It was so precise that he even described what she was feeling inwardly towards it.  Remember, we had only met Raul a few days prior to this and there was NO way he could have known how accurate he was, without the Holy Spirit working.  Spiritually, my eyes were opened through this experience and it began a journey of learning to become aware of the Holy Spirit in a brand new, exciting and empowering, way.  Each month that followed; whether through biblical study, conversations with trusted friends and other ‘Spirit Led contacts- my knowledge of The Holy Spirit and who He is, grew.
Despite crazy living conditions and ministry that stretched me to the core; my time in the presence of the Costea’s and the local church, will not be forgotten. 
To Raul and Ana.  To Hope Church.  Thank YOU for restoring my personal hope in Jesus.  Thank you for opening up my eyes to the supernatural world around me.  I know the journey isn’t over as I continue to face battles and grow within this area, but I thank you for allowing God to use you, to provide me the spiritual milk that I needed to begin to grow. Thank you for your care and encouragement during a rough time for me, my team and my squad.  Please know that there are prayers going up for you, from a Mennonite girl, in a small Mennonite town nestled in the heart of Canada.
Sunrise View from my bedroom window

Me with one of the gypsy kids I met
during a day of street ministry


 

Common everyday sights in Romania
So very cool seeing Biblical parables 'come to life'


No comments: