So the other day in church...I was looking around and my mind wondered from the message (sorry Ben!) on to something else...still church related! It was this concept of worship, and church itself. The thought jumped into my head..."what IS worship?" Is it singing songs sunday morning and thats it? is it all of us bowing our heads when the pastor says its time to pray (if you ever wait just a tad longer and watch people bow their heads when that is said, its actally quite amuzing, as its like robots and out of habit..try it sometime...)? What is church? is it the place where we gather on sundays and that is it?
These are just a few of my thoughts, as it is something I am still processing and learning each and every day. For myself, church IS good (dont get me wrong) but it is not where I worship the best. For myself, I come to learn a few things about myself...one-I need/crave community of some form. Now this seems wierd then that church isnt a place where I worship the best, because it totally is a community...but what I think it is, is that its too big...at least the church where I am now....there are some people who I know...but over all its too big. that is one thing I love abtou school now, is the student size of it. people are not just friends, but we are like one big family...you get to reall yknow people and so feel more open and honest with them...something I dont feel when I go to church. Perhaps smaller churches are different, I am not sure, but still. I just do better in small, more intimate crowds. This past summer at WBC, we had a few "jamming" sessions outside where people would pull out their guitars and we would just sing praises to God. Ther was one day where 5-6 of us sat between teh dorms, one sunday and just played and sang..very informal, but God spoke more than to me, then I think he would have had I actually gone to a church buiilding. It was great...that is where I connect really well.
another place where I love to worship God, is anywhere on my OWN. I LOVE going out and just taking my journal, camera and pen and "losing" myself somewher eout in the country or off somewhere. Just taking pictures, even though i may not be thinking anything or saying anything... I guess its a gift God has given me and I just love using it and capturing his Beauty and glorifiying Him through that. Plus it does give me a chance to be on my own since I am still an intervert at heart for sure.
And i think the same goes with church...smaller populations and more "one on one' situations...a place where one can really get to know each other and lift each other up in prayer. Church now is great on sunday mornings, but school, chapels and just hanging out in dorm, chatting and sharing life together, is what i love.
God is all around us no matter wehre we go.
So not sure why I wrote about that, but felt like I wanted to, needed to...
Just a few thoughts and I thought it was time to update this once again
No comments:
Post a Comment