Saturday, March 12, 2011

Africa, Youth, ministry, self image, Child of God

Today is March 12...its cold and snowy out..hmm...did not see that coming!! *scratches head* well that is life I guess...but oh the days of summer...but speaking of summer (sort of) Zambia, Africa is 26 days away! wow...ok for those that do not know...I am going to Africa with a team from my Church..working with Seeds of Hope Children's ministry...a school/orphange for kids with/affected by aids/HIV.  Here is a blurb of an email I recently sent out to prayer warriors...
Recently, God has been teaching me to hear His voice and to listen to Him through a friend.  Her dedication and commitment to God blows me away ever time we chat. The life she lives, the trust she has in God as He leads her and her family in their next steps, is a challenge and witness to me. (You know who you are...thank you!)  As I may have mentioned in an earlier email, I am not sure why God laid this trip on my heart instantly but He did and now, as 'take off' is a month away...there are many different mixed feelings and events going on.  Yes, we are still doing the physical prep work (meetings, shots etc)but for me, also mentally.  Example: at our last meeting-the issue of AIDS/HIV came up (as we will be exposed to people/kids with it) and it occurred to me some of the potential danger we are putting ourselves in.  Now, for those of you on the mission field...you know what I am talking about as you deal/live with it daily, however for myself, it is a new realization that took place. Also recently, during church Sunday worship services, we have been going through the book of Matthew (specifically  chapter 10) and in it, Jesus states how the world will view us (followers of Christ), and how serving God is not 'a walk in the park'.  In fact, if we are not being challenged, and yes even facing danger-what ever that sorts-one must ask ourselves...'are we really following Christ?", That said, we do not all have to leave our homes and venture off to a third world country. In fact...for some of us, it maybe the call to prayer for a complete stranger on a bus in Winnipeg, or even, a classmate.  To perhaps love that annoying kid or neighbour next door.  To watch our own tongues at work and school.  The question is..do we do it? Or do we let it slip by? After all, if we deny Christ here on earth...He will/may deny us when we stand alone before Him at eternity.

Something to think about eh?

On to youth-youth continues to go well and learning lots there as well! (a few pics in earlier post!) I was reminded today of the struggles our youth face...not only that but of the images/struggles we face as well.  Talk about peer presure, especially as young females trying to live for Christ.  The images we are bombarded with, the status that media makes "the perfect body" to be, the pressures that youth face today.  Even since I have graduated, things have changed SO much in the last 5 years.  I have started a book called "lies Young women believe" and although I have just started it, it has made some really good points and has gotten me thinking. I can relate to some of it, yet other-the concepts are foreign.  The two go side and side in side with beign a Child of God.  ESPECIALLY nowadays, we need to refirm our youth-to remind them about the truth.  About GOD'S truth and His truth alone! It is a daily battle, and we need a constant reminder of God's love for us!

So say to yourself..I am a Child of God.  He loves me SO very much.  Yes I will fail, and I will fall but He will never let me go.  he loves me for who I am!!


Peace out blog world! 

No comments: