Monday, October 24, 2011

Life Lessons

Hey all

God just has an interesting sense of humour
I am often at the expense of it...
At the time, its not funny
Later..after I realize all i got is a few bruises...its quite funny!

So funny story-I was leaving church this last sunday( not the funny part)  but my hands were full and i attempted to bike home (home, which is literally around the block-easily could have walked) anways, despite a little voice in my head saying "Nikki your hands are full..use your head..walk your bike home!" I attempted to bike home. OH I should add that I recently got a new bike, a bike with brakes that work..so imagine this- my hands full, coming up to a stop sign-car coming to my right, my hand that is free happens to be my front brake side (note to self, never just use front break..use BACK break!) anyways, one thing leads to another and in an instance I am on the pavement.  At the time, not funny, now..its very funny!

Needless to say, I am quite sore especially on my left side but I think my pride got wounded more than anything.  However, I learned a few things from this experience.
1) I think this was God's way of telling me to listen to that conscious HE gave me
2) people are too busy to even stop and see if people are ok after witnessing someone fall ( ok the car did slow do and through the window-saw the person mouth "are you ok"..but didnt even roll down window or stop...I could have been seriously hurt!  Tho at that point I didnt want to see anyone so I waved them on..but still...looking back at it...it almost seemed cold?!?)

Lesson two:
Despite our so called "great Canadian education" that we have here, we are really UNeducated.
I was showing someone my Africa book and explaining a little of what we did there and some of the kids backgrounds etc.  I realized through this conv. how little we here in canada actually know about HIV/AIDs.  I was asked if it could be passed via saliva..i was like, 'are you seriously asking me that?" (I thought it, didnt voice it). 

Its amazing tho, how the news or what we read in our text books-shape how we view things.    Like really.  People, it is time to get educated! 
But lets be honest tho...before going..I too-was nervous about how it spread.  yes, I did hear/read about it in school...but that was use as a "scare' factor-not a educational purpose (if that makes sense)

anyways, point being- I understood where the question came from , yet at the same time, it annoyed me.  The world is so huge, yet at the same time, its becoming smaller and smaller.  There is a LOT of work to do out there, and we are running out of time...so what are you going to do about it?  how about begin with this...get EDUCATED.  Open yourself up to the issues around you.  follow fact, not fiction. Those kids, those kids that I spent 10 amazing days with- depsite the disease in their young bodies (which is NOT their fault), will be living a full life, a life with chance and opportunity like I had, like we all had growing up.  Yes, they do live in Africa and so yes their lives will be different for that simple reason, however..Kids are still kids.  People are still people.  we all wanna be loved and cared for.

Oh the many life lessons each and every day!

what about you? what are you learning? what is God teaching you these days?
 
Beautiful african smilies!

"hold me please"

spending time with little angels from above!

A snap shot of what God must look like!

sharing the love!

Angel from above!

Kids are kids no matter where you are!

Sweet sweet angels!  A small glimpse into Heaven!





Is there anything more beautiful than the face of God?

No comments: