Yesterday marked 6 months of being home from the World
Race. 6 months. It feels like ‘yesterday’ that my squad and I
was stepping off that plane in Chicago.
With anticipation and eagerness, we still had one more security and
customs to clear before we were back in the arms of loved ones. 6 months, yet the feelings and emotions tied
with it, are still fresh in my mind and on my heart. Feelings of joy, of pure happiness and the
sense of ‘Whew I actually made it through…” as the realization was only just beginning
to unfold of what we had just truly accomplished.
Today, I am 9 days, 6 classes, one take home exam and 3 in
class exams, away from being done my first semester back in University College-
an idea that was NOT in my plans 6 months ago as I embraced my mom in a hug for
the first time in just under a year.
Who ever said being a Christian was ‘boring’? Can I just smack (out of love of course) that
person silly?!? It is anything BUT boring!! Seriously.
| From Holding the hand of my favourite child in Swaziland... |
I thought that, when I got home, life would go back to ‘normal’
(whatever that looked like). I quickly
learned that just because I was officially ‘off’ the race, did not mean I was ‘off
the race’. World Race, yes. The race/journey of life? NEVER.
Oh how I wish I knew, what I know now, when I stepped off that
plane. Actually, truth is, I probably would
have gotten right back on that plane and headed to a destination unknown. THAT was familiar, the last 6 months have NOT
been familiar. What? Nikki that doesn’t even make sense. Your at home.
In a place, a climate, a language, a country that you KNOW! How is that
NOT familiar? Yes, that is a
conversation I had in my head. The answer?
I was (am) wrecked. God wrecked me for the
Nations, for the unknown and the journey of walking on foreign soil. Life back at home, in my mind, was ‘boring’.
| ...To holding the small hand of my brand new nephew for the first time |
Needless to say, life the last 3 months, has been anything
BUT boring. Without going into too much
detail, I have seen (and felt) the Holy Spirit move in ways in which I never
did on the race. I have seen God bring
healing- in my own life, and in the lives of those around me, in a way I didn’t
on the race. Although I miss holding orphan’s
hands, and hugging widows daily, there is nothing truly greater in this world,
than holding your own nephew as he falls asleep in your arms and seeing your
grandma’s face light up, because of a simple ice cream cone that you brought
her.
A new journey in youth, has been getting to
know those that God has now placed within my life to love, lead and (hopefully)
‘be Jesus’ too…an awesome group of 10-12 grade 9 girls.
I am so very excited to now join in on the journey God is taking them each on through this phase of their life. I am praying I can be a small light, in their journey’s. I missed simply being able to serve (and love) the way God has called me too, the way He has equipped me to, and to NOT be challenged/corrected on it. What a freedom!!!!!!!
I am so very excited to now join in on the journey God is taking them each on through this phase of their life. I am praying I can be a small light, in their journey’s. I missed simply being able to serve (and love) the way God has called me too, the way He has equipped me to, and to NOT be challenged/corrected on it. What a freedom!!!!!!!
I miss my two best pals from the race and the physical distance between us, drives me crazy every day. Yet their constant texts, reminds me daily that I am loved and missed (despite the “Canadian jokes” that happen daily as well! Love you guys!)
School itself, were do I start?! I LOVE the international
community here at Prov. Again, the world is literally at my door! What a blessing! TESOL itself, incredible and
I cannot wait to get out and use it in this world! Thank you LORD, for leading me here!
Needless to say, it has been a crazy last 6 months. The first semester is nearly over, with the
second one starting in just over a month. 6 months from now, who knows where I
will be! It will be summer, and although I hope to be on my practicum overseas
somewhere, I KNOW that the journey that lies ahead, will continue to be an
adventure of a life time!
After all, to quote a good (East) Indian/Cambodian friend of
mine, “life with Jesus, is NEVER boring!!”
No comments:
Post a Comment