Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The New 'Normal'



In order to share a little more as to what life in Africa looks like, I thought it would be fun to write a blog describing some of the daily routine that has now become the new ‘normal’.  

(*Like all things travel related, until one actually experiences these experiences for themselves there is no good way to fully explain what life abroad actually looks like.  That being said, I will try my very best!*).

I’ll be honest; my daily routine is pretty ‘normal’ in comparison to being back at home in Canada.  For the first few weeks here, we (myself and two other Canadian teachers) have been living in the city of Ndola which located approximately 20 KM from where I am teaching.  Felsen House provides a solid roof over my head, couches to ‘veg’ on in the evening, and a super comfy bed to climb into each night.  Yes, we also do have running water and flush toilets.  Other than one evening in which the power went out, electricity has also been a non-issue. 
Felsen House
This is where the 0-5 year olds live that Seeds of Hope take in; also on the same property as Felsen House
Each morning, I am up by 6:00 and on the teacher bus by 7:15.  We arrive at school just in time for classes to start at 8:00.  My days vary, depending on when I have my English classes.  When I am not in class, I try to spend my time prepping, marking and working on my own homework, or hanging out with the short term (2 weeks) teams that have been here.   

It has been un-usually busy with Musungu (Bemba term for “White people”) here as of late.  In my three weeks here thus far, we have seen 5 different teams ‘come and go’. An all-women’s team from B.C, a small team of 2 from Northern Alberta, 3 musicians from the west coast (working on promo things for a Canadian tour that Seeds of Hope is doing later this summer), a team of 5 also from Northern Alberta and a work team from “Down Under” (aka Australia).  Needless to say, there are (were) always a variety of people around.

School is done at 1300 hours (3:00) and the teachers have an hour of ‘prep’ afterwards.  We are back on the bus by 16:20/16:30 (4:20/4:30) and are the last ones to be dropped off.  The ride back to Felsen is usually about an hour from start to finish.  The evenings are usually pretty low keyed as it is completely dark by 6:00 pm.  We make our own supper, maybe watch a movie, finish up any marking/prepping and head to bed between 2100/2130 (9/9:30), knowing that the sun will be up on the nose at 06:00 AM and a new day will begin.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(* I figured I would also give an update in regards to my previous blog as well.  I wanted to start with saying “THANK YOU” for you many prayers that have been going up for me already during my time here.  I cannot not express how thankful I am for each and every one of them.  God is truly a God who hears (and answers) our prayers.  I have been feeling your love (and support) through the prayers.  Although one’s heart (my heart) will never ever be complete again after going through experiences that I already have (both back in Africa here and previous experiences), healing continues to happen.  I can honestly say I am in a good (head) space.  Despite everything, there is a peace within my heart that daily calms the waves of the unknown/questions and uncertainty that life brings.  At the end of the day, and as surly as the sun rises each morning, God IS still GOD.  God IS still GOOD.  Amen.)  

1 comment:

Al Sawatzky said...

praying for you.