Friday, May 08, 2015

To Save a Life


Even after spending 11 months abroad in 10 different countries, I realized today that there are still things (situations) that ‘burn my inner most being’ and make me go, “what the @&#% is wrong with this world and the people who live in it?”

Today started off like any other day here in Zambia.  

I arose with the sun and began my morning routine that I have already fallen into.  Today was different though, as the thought crossed my mind, “wow, I have been in Zambia for a week already! Some days it already feels longer than that, but at the same time, it felt as though I only left yesterday”.   

We had welcomed a small team of 5, from northern Alberta the day earlier.  Earlier that same day, we also welcomed a small video/musician team from the West Coast, consisting of 3 men and their gear.  That all being said, there were many more people around the breakfast table this morning, as they trickled in one by one still trying to recover from jet leg.   

Once the plan was set, we were able to put it into ‘motion’ and we loaded up the bus for our first destination.  We (myself and the two other teachers who are here ‘long term’ with me), got dropped off at the local Pick N’ Pay (basically a grocery store that is similar to Sobey’s at home) mall.  With the 5 person team in toe, we loaded our phones with more data and treated ourselves to Gelato at a local gelato store while we waited for our contact (which was also our ride) to come back and pick us up.

This short experience was the ‘calm before the storm’.

From there, we ventured to the local market, as well as a different orphanage that is set up by the local Catholic Church.  I have been to both of these places before, on my previous trips in 2011 and 2012.  In that regard, they were nothing ‘new’ to me.  

Given my many adventures in foreign markets while on the World Race, this market was no different and it fit right on in.  What was overwhelming and chaotic to me a few short years ago, now brought an unexpected sense of peace to my soul.  More so, my newly found sense of adventure (shout out to Marie and Sierra for that one!) was intrigued by the variety of different sights and sounds (don’t worry mom, I still have enough ‘common sense’ that I will not venture there alone).  However, I was not expecting the ‘pull’ that I felt in my heart as our leader pointed out a young child, carrying items to sell upon his head.  This wasn’t the first child I had seen, or experienced, selling things but for some reason, my heart sank a little deeper than it did before as I listened to our leader give us some facts about the area.  I couldn’t stop thinking that this child (and those around him) should be in school; learning, playing and having fun.  What struck me was that I knew, a few short miles down, kids his age were doing just that.  My “kids” at Grace, were hanging out, laughing, playing and waiting for us to return to join them.  The sight of the injustice before me, began to burn deeper within me

The stop at the orphanage followed next.

When I realized where we had pulled up to, I could instantly feel my heart ‘shut down’ purely out of trying to protect myself.  I knew, from past experiences, that this would not be an easy stop.  We were greeted by about 30 kids running up to the van and I barely had time to step out of the van itself, when I already noticed small hands being reached up to me and eyes begging me to pick them up simply to be held for a moment.  

With emotions shut off, I simply reacted and reached down to the child to embrace her and lift her into my arms.  10 minutes of holding her, was not enough but I had to put her down as we ventured into the Cerebral Palsy part of the orphanage.  I quickly discovered that my experiences working in India at a special needs orphanage (which included kids with CP), did NOT make this stop any easier.  In this building, I met a young child who had no (yes, NO) legs and moved herself around by literally dragging her arms across the floor.  She was lying on her side, clutching a small ball.  Looking at her I felt Jesus telling me, “Nikki, are you just going to stand there and look at me? Or are you going to bend down and tell me you love me?”  

In that moment, I could feel my emotions being ‘turned on’ and I knelt down and spent a few minutes rolling the ball back and forth.  In those moments, I experienced a joy on her face, through a way of her beautiful smile that caught me off guard.  Jesus was once again humbling me in a powerful way, through a small child, bringing to life the verse that talks about how the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to children such as these. 

Upon leaving that area, I could feel my own spirits continue to be lifted.  I followed our leader into the baby room where they were ‘getting ready’ a small new born baby.  To this I thought nothing of as I made my way over to another young baby in a crib.  I was once again blown away by their beautiful, innocent smile. 

What I didn’t realize was, this newborn baby that they were ‘getting ready’ was ‘coming home’ with us.  Seeds of Hope would be admitting the baby boy into their 0-5 year old care that they have.  While in the van ride back to Grace, I was given the newborn to hold.  Since we had his ‘file’ (basically papers stapled together in a light green folder) one of the ladies on the Alberta team read it out loud.  I learned that this baby was what they call ‘dumped babies’ here in Zambia.  The name says it all as these are basically babies dumped as soon as they are born.  This young child was born April 9 and he was found 2 hours after he was born.  It was at this point, he was brought to this orphanage.  Now, here he was, one day short of 1 month old and only 5 lbs in weight.  However, He was safe in my arms.  He has a bright future before him and a chance to live the life God has called him to live.  

I stayed back from a swimming opportunity to process and to simply soak in the sound of laughter coming from the kids already well established at Grace Academy.  Kids who have their own ‘rescue’ stories.  Some stories are similar to this one and others have stories that even Hollywood couldn’t write up.  But they too, are safe.  Like this baby, they are alive. They are getting a great education, 3 meals a day and the medical treatments they need.  They too, have a chance to fully live out and embrace the lives God is calling each of them too.

Today was hard.  But I truly learned today that it starts with a one.

One child.
One life at a time. 
The rest is up to God   

2 comments:

Giraffeface said...

Beautiful, Nikki. Yes, it starts with one...and one...and one...:) Love how God speaks to you. Love your heart, your vulnerability, and your honesty. Always.

Al Sawatzky said...

Great work Nikki.