Wednesday, August 31, 2011

James Chapter 1

So I just started reading through the books of James...ever have it when *Bam*, scripture just hits you smack dab in the head? (Not literally course...tho sometimes I am pretty sure I need it) but anyways, James, I think it will become/is already, a favorite book...already in James 1..things are hitting close to home.  James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
Practical? VERY.  Encouraging? YES.  James goes on to continue to write about temptations and trials and how God does not tempt us (v. 13) but that we tempt ourselves when we get dragged away.  It is the good and perfect gifts that come from God and God alone (v. 17).

James 1:19-20 " My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,  because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires"  Quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry...ok... I like to think of myself as someone who is quick to listen and slow to speak..however, being a person who likes to 'fix all things if possible", my slow to speak, often turns into quick to speak and slow to listen, and, well angry..., like I mentioned a few posts back..anger can come pretty easy and pretty quick to me... (still trying to figure out how to tame that...it will be a life long process I think/know)
James 1:22 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says"  I think this verse is pretty self explanitory right? the part I dont get, is where it says, "so deceive yourself"...anyone care to attempt to explain that part to me? cause I get that we are suppose to DO what scripture says,not just listen to it...do we deceive ourselves just by listening to it, but not DOING what it says?
Verse 26, is a kicker for me..again with the ideas/thoughts on the tongue and how vicious it can be..

" Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless"
I hope and pray, that this verse will just out at me full force the next time I wanna let me tongue loose..

I love verse 27.  It wraps up chapter one so well (at least I think) and it is a verse that has also hit home coming off of Africa...it reads, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."  What a wonderful image.  But not only image..but an action...seriously people, spending time with orphans, with widows...some of the best, rejuventating, "God time", growing time you will EVER have.  it is SO easy to do in place like africa, but what about now? what about where you are? where I am? hmm..not always so easy is it? perhaps it will look different here in canada, then it does in places LIKE Africa...but that doesnt change the meaning behind the words in James, or in our actions and how we respond...

No comments: