Sunday, January 08, 2012

Peace...and a blessing!

We had a really good sermon today in church.  It was one of those that I could really connect with.  It was based in Matthew 13:53-58; which reads "When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him.
   But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.”
 58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith."

 Our pastor went on to talk about biblical faith.  About what faith is NOT and what Biblical faith IS.   He mentioned something that i found interesting with, but totally agree.  He talked about how  when people question their faith, or go around and SEEK answers to questions and have questions in general-it is sometimes (a lot of times) looked "down upon". The question is then thrown back at the person-"where is your faith? you should not be asking those things" etc

For myself-those questions annoy the heck out of me! I am a firm believer  in asking questions but then also SEEKING answers to those questions (in the right places hopefully).  The most important spiritual years of my life-where also the toughest.  The times when I seeked answers to questions.  Times when I realized that not only did I not have the answers I was looking for, but other Christians way older than me-also didnt have the answers.  At the time-this annoyed me too-but now I am so glad they were honest with me as it made me realize that it is ok to have questions, to seek answers.  it is not all about theology but about so much more. (dont get me wrong tho-theology is important-something that a prof at college reminded me of in his special way-thanks Prof Gord!)

I hope the youth were listening extra to that today especially-cause I know there are lots of questions especially in that age and they need that reminder that it is OK to ask, to seek.  in fact-God tells us to.  We are not suppose to take everything we hear, to heart-even with our own pastors and leaders. THey are human and do make mistakes.  Scripture is Truth.

he also referenced James and how it talks about 'faith without actions-is dead'.  This too-is something I have struggled with in the past (and still do).  I still believe that in the long run-I will end up overseas in missions and so I wrestle with why I am here, at home-working isntead of being "out there".  BUT then it hits me again-its my youth.  this weekend reminded me of that.  I went to see a movie with a few on friday, and had one girl over yesterday eve for frappes and a movie.  I love connecting with people outside of youth-that is when the real conversations and growth happens-what a blessing it is! Again, for now-it confirmed to me that this, right here and now-where I am, is where I am suppose to be.  There is this peace from God. This is my actions being shown-through my faith.  My Faith is not dead and its very much alive (through my actions).  My hope, my prayer for this next year and as this school year of youth finishes up-is that God will continue to use me espeically in the lives of the young women in youth-to draw closer to HIM and grow a passion desire to love and serve Him.  For me to be there for them, when they have tough questions and fears.  Not to necessairly lead, but to help guide.

Prayer is huge.  I pray constantly for my 'girls' and its awesome seeing the changes in them-even for only knowing them for the last few years-the change is there and its great! Peoplle have no idea, what they are missing out on by not being apart of youths lives!They are a HUGE blessing!

No comments: