Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Pregnancy Project and sterotypes

I realized lately-that I really do 'judge a book by its cover'....  WAIT before you have a confused look on your face, let me explain-I AM HUMAN (no excuse I realize that) but  When I say "book" I really DO mean a book (like something you read).  If the cover looks cool, I will pick it up and 'give it a chance' but if it doesn't, I will usually pass it by. Ok so we are clear? I am talking about any piece of literature.

What scared me tho, is that this line of thinking-no matter HOW HARD I TRY, it carries over to how I first view people as well.  So I really do 'judge a book by its cover' (*smacks myself over my head''come on nikki, I should know better*).  God "smacked" me over the head this weekend with that line of thought and this time, He used a different line of medium to do it...a tv movie that I 'happened' to flip through and see. 

"The Pregnancy Project"-I saw this title on the screen and thought "oh great, another 'teen mom' show, like we really need that" (SEE look at how quick I am to judge even that!) but curiosity got the best of me and I "tuned in". 

I am glad I did.

I wont say much about the plot of the movie, but instead I will say that this senior high school student in the states, 'faked a pregnancy' last year as a final "social project" for school.  So the movie is her story, her experience on it.  I have also included a link to an interview with the real girl who did it (for facts) so now I recomend checking out the article below.

Newstory


I didnt realize this while I was watching the movie, but rather afterwards when I was talking with my mom about.  I realized that I was very much 'one of those girls' snickering and yes, even sneering and saying some not so nice things about one of my older brother's friend who got pregnant and had her baby girl Feb. before her grad year.  my thoughts "not my problem, she had it coming-why should I deal with it?"  She would come over still (being my bro's friend and all) and I found out way later after the fact that there was a rumour going around town about MY brother  being the child's father (He isnt. another story for perhaps another time, but chalk up another point for annoying, small town gossip..i hate it-I realize hate is a strong  word, but in this case I think it works..hello rabbit trail)

ANYWAYS point being, I was one pointing fingers and laughing (perhaps not directly too her but still about her).  God decided to wake me up.  My mom, bein who she is-spent hours babysitting the daughter of this girl and spending time with the mom.  Honestly at first, I was jealous simple as that.  I could not understand why my mom would be investing her time in this young mom and her child.  This went on to about Christmas of that year.

That Christmas, I went to TF (our youth's conference), there-I met and saw a girl around MY AGE at the time, with her little boy who was around a year already at that point.  I overheard a conv with her and someone else just talking about her pregnancy and how her church responded...her answer blew my mind- she said (in regards to her church) that they were the biggest supporters, threw her a huge baby shower and were totally behind her and supporting her.  this rocked my world, maybe I could/should do the same with my situation at home.  God calls us to love right?ANYWAYS I began spending time with the baby, just holding her and thus spending time with the mom. 

WELL needless to say, my relationship with the mom went totally UP from there. I learned not to care what people thought of me spending time with them.  They had both become family and family sticks together and I would defeend them against whatever people threw at them.  Christmases and birthdays were highlights as were random photoshoots and just spending time with them. I began to love them


However, One thing that I knew that I had to do, is apologize to the mom for how I acted towards her initially.  While I was not one of the bad ones by far, I had no right thinking, saying and acting how I did towards her.  So one night, I was walking her and her daughter back to their place (they lived in town at this point) and I just told her I was sorry.  She asked 'for what" and I told her. I was honest with her.  I was one of those idiot people, laughing, mocking and pointing fingers.  I realized that I was not only pointing fingers at her and her daughter, but at TWO people made in God's image.  They were and still are, two of God's daughters.  two of HIS princesses. I sin. I fail. what makes me any better? God still loves me.  So why can't I be a reflection of His light? God had given me a good, swift, much needed kick in the rear end.


Today, I am BEYOND estatic to say that the relationship that I have with them both is awesome.  The mom is like the older, crazy, awesome sister that I never had and  her daughter, is like the little sister I never had. They are both crazy but i  would defend them with my whole heart.  I love em to bits.


I debated sharing this story, but I felt like it shows/proves my point and this movie that I saw, reminded me of this. We all judge someone else one way or another.  There are stereo types that right away put people at a disadvantage.  I hate it. I really do.  So, my challenge to myself and to you as the reader, is to stand up for those with stereo types against them.  Defend them. Watch yourself around them-are you one of the people pointing and laughing? if so, step back and slap yourself silly (ok not to hard but really open your eyes...) who knows what sort of an awesome relationship you are missing out on! I thank God for 'slapping' me when He did...cause I know that becasue of the relationship I now have with those two, i am a better person and have the chance to challenge and influence (hopefully for good) two more precious lives!
(and, on a more funny note, be the 'butt end' of a make over session..oh the things I do!!!  Here is to family!)



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too saw the movie a while back and after reading the info, I started watching it.

And I really enjoyed it. It was so interesting to see the reactions and yeah, how quickly people are overcome with negativity towards those situations.

Thanks for sharing Nikki!