Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Selfish..part 1

I AM SELFISH.  I have been realizing this lately about myself and it scares me.
I like my comfort.
I like my pay check twice a month
I like my hot showers.
I like my north american plumbing.
I like the fact that I DONT have to sleep under a mosquito net
actually, better put- I Like my nice warm bed.
I like my apartment
I like my heat in winter and my AC in summer.
I like my drivers.
I like my freedom.
I like my fridge
I like my food in my fridge.
I like my ability to be physically mobile
I like my job security
I like my health insurance/coverage
I like my free health care
I like my education that I had
I like my stove/microwave
I like my family (most days :P)
I like my friends
I like my internet
I like my clean drinking water
I like my ability to travel when (where) I want


I like my...I like my.. I like my... I like my....
This is just the start of the things I 'like" off the top of my head...as this list is NOT exhausted.

While the above statements are true, I hope you realized I put the "I like" parts like that, purposely to make a point (which I hope I did?!)  I realized tonight-through a new college / career evening that local people are starting, at how selfish I really am.  It is so true that this is a "me me me me me" world that we live in. 

Now I just want to say, there is NOTHING wrong with the things that I have listed above.  Friends, family, food, health care,  etc are all great but we need to change teh way we look at them.  They are gifts from God and are not to be taken forgranted of.

But it doesnt stop there.  As Christians, as Christians from ANY generation-we are called to give it up.  To give up the few things that I mentioned-for Christ.  We are called to go and make disciples.  There is no greater calling then that.  Period.

I would like to continue this topic on the blog for a bit-as I feel its a large topic and I need to do some thiking.praying on it...but for now-what are your thoughts on 'selfish'?

"A thought to grow on"

Shine for Christ.

No comments: