Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Beauty

Just a quick question...Why is it, that people, especially girls, struggle so much with beauty.  Not only outer beauty and always thinking they do not look good enough, or have to "impress" someone, but with inner beauty as well?  Is this just a North American Mindset?  Or a "first world" mind set? or do other people from other cultures struggle with this as well?  I know in Ukraine, outter appearence is HUGE, even more so then it is here...which is wierd yet at the same time, it makes sense. 

Is there any way to improve this train of thought?   as a society...what is something we could do to help girls and young ladies and ladies of all ages, boost their confidence and the way the look at themselves?  Maybe we should all just nix the media and ignore that message that is being potrayed to females.  Side note on that, something I found amusing in an ironic "told you so" sort of way, is the fact of the 'real person' DOVE used for their 'real image' campaign a few years back...do you remember that? I recall reading last semester in one of my text books, how even that campagin was a hoax...in the sense that the 'real girl; they used for this and that, was not real at all...in fact all photoshopped...hmmm  it was out of the book flickering Pixels by shane Hipps...it looks at media in general and how it shaps and influences the culture...but yeah check it out..I have the book if anyone would like to read it...

Here check out one of their videos.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U

Have we become fake?  Are we all just walking around with masks?  Why is it so hard to be REAL withone another?

1 comment:

Niki said...

I know when I struggle with either inner or outer beauty, it's because I'm either afraid to be judged, I'm afraid to be humbled (yet that is exactly what I want, right?), or I'm afraid to not be liked. I guess it's sometimes scary to be real with people because you can no longer "control" their reaction to you...just some thoughts...