Friday, October 13, 2006

Thoughts on Prayer... and all that that includeds




Another week, come and gone. Man, that was just one week? Ok ok I will admit, it went by pretty quick. Last night I had bible study #2, and again, I think it went pretty good. The girls seemed to have a good time (who wouldnt with chocolate pudding!) and we actaully got discussion going and it was quite something and I think, or hope, that they all went away with at least something. Hannah and her prayer was the topic for the evening, sort of like a "how big are your prayers" Like Sarah, Hannah didnt have a child till an old age, but later she had a boy whom she name Samuel, meaning, because "I asked God for you". We looked at the prayer that she prayed in Samuel 1; 1-20. She admitted to God that she was his servent, but the fact that she was miserable. *Read Scripture for a down to earth, truthfully honest prayer* So anyways this got us talking about Prayer in not only the lives of others, but in our own as well. What does it mean to us? Is it sincere when we are praying, or are we just following yet another life routine? If so, how do we tell which are "real", and just "routine" Prayers? Is it wrong to ask God for things? What about a young child, say 3-5 who knows no better and goes "God I want this and this and this" Is that wrong, or is the child just doing the only form of prayer that they know? What about an adult who prays, "give me this, give me that" sort of thing. Does God listen to the child, but not the adult? WHy or why not? That sort of thing. We also started talking about prayer in church. Have you ever not bowed your head and closed your eyes when everyone else does? I admit, I have a few times. Have you ever then looked or watch the other people all bow their heads? Really its like everyone goes in to "Robot Mode" or someting. Just try it, see if your church is like that as well. I understand that not all churches are like that, and I hope next year when I visit different ones in the UK and Europe, that wall will get broken down, but still, at the least it should question when you pray, how sincere are you? Are you like an adult who knows better, but still wants more and more, never giving anythign in return, or are you like a little kid, innocent and doesnt know any better? Are you like Hannah, admiting before God first that you are his servent, yet being totally honest about your feelings, or are just learning, asking tthese same questions, or other, trying to figure out what prayer means to you.

Prayer is such a loaded word, so much to talk about to think about, and yah even question, but like I have said, being a christian isnt about knowing everything right aways and the being satisfied, its a life long journey, one in which you will stumble and fall, yet the same one in which there will be victoires, accomplishments, lessons learned, and smile shared.
Cherish LIfe

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Hey..I need some help putting pictures on cause i have no clue..when i go to create a post then upload pictures it doesn't work...would you mind giving me a hand?